Check out market updates

Residence permit in Spain for British citizens from 1 January 2021


Residence permit in Spain for British citizens from 1 January 2021, after Brexit

With the entry into force of #Brexit many British citizens wonder:

  • what will happen to my residence permit in Spain?, it all depends on whether you have been a resident in Spain prior to the entry into force of brexit.
  • how can I obtain my residence permit in Spain from 1 January 2021?
  • or how can I travel to Spain now that I am not a European citizen?.
  • Below we have made a summary of the main issues and we also refer you to the official pages of the Spanish Government.


I am a British citizen or family member of a British citizen residing in Spain before 1 January 2021.

What will be my situation?

After the end of the transitional period, on 1 January 2021, the Withdrawal Agreement provides that your rights of residence, work, studies and Social Security will be maintained, provided that you reside in Spain before that date.

What arrangements do I have to make?

The current registration certificates and the cards of relatives of EU citizens – these during their validity period – available to British citizens and their relatives residing in Spain are valid documents to prove legal residence in Spain prior to 1 January 2021, and to benefit from the provisions of the Withdrawal Agreement.

Since 6 July 2020, beneficiary cards of the Withdrawal Agreement have been issued, the obtaining of which is not mandatory but is recommended as it is a uniform EU model.

You can consult the Joint Instruction of the Directorate-General for Migration and the Directorate-General of the Police, which determines the procedure for issuing the beneficiary card of the Withdrawal Agreement provided for in Article 18.4 thereof, published in the BOE of 4 July 2020.

To apply, you must contact the foreign office in the province where you intend to reside or the relevant police station. For information on the address, telephone numbers and public service hours of the foreign offices you can consult this page.

I am a Spanish or British citizen. What will be my rights if I intend to reside after the end of the transitional period?

The rights of Spanish citizens and their families who start their legal residence in the United Kingdom after the transitional period shall be those established by the United Kingdom.

The rights of British citizens and their families who start their legal residence in Spain after the transitional period shall be those established by general regime of foreigners you can consult in General Regimen Extanjería – Ministry of the Interior CLICK IN THE PHOTO



What should I do if I am going to travel?

As from 1 January 2021, British nationals, like any third-country national, must comply with the entry requirements set out in the Schengen Borders Code, including the need to justify the object and conditions of the planned stay and to have sufficient means of subsistence, both for the planned period of stay and for the return , as well as that the stay may not exceed 90 days per period of 180, either on one or more visits. Britons must identify themselves with their passport and be visa-free.

The British beneficiaries of the Withdrawal Agreement shall be exempt from the above requirements. So will the British who, from the date indicated, obtain a residence permit in Spain under the general scheme.

If you are travelling to Spain from the United Kingdom you can find useful information regarding customs controls, VAT refund, vegetables or cash declarations at the following link: Travellers.

When you are #travelling it is important to know at all times what are the circumstances of the #COVID #pandemic and preventive measures so we recommend that you visit the page of the Spanish Consulate in the United Kingdom and the entry requirements to #Spain

#tabletwetestates #spain #unitedkingdom #uk #london #europe #costadelsol #madrid #balears #ibiza #marbella #ukresidents #residencepermit


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *